- Membership of SEDMED is limited to those individuals who are in the regular and full time employment of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the Republic of South Africa, Namibia and Lesotho, and those who are entitled to enjoy SAU pension benefits after having retired from the employ of the organisation.
Please note: it is illegal for an individual to be a member of, or a registered dependant of a member, of more than one medical scheme
- SEDMED also provides benefits to the members’ registered/qualifying dependants.
- Members and registered dependants are referred to as Beneficiaries .
- A newly appointed regular full time employee who is a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church is expected to become a member of SEDMED unless he or she can provide proof of being a member or registered dependant of a member of another medical scheme.
In order to become a member, the employee must complete an Application Form and submit it without delay, together with all other relevant documents as indicated on the form, where applicable. The Application Form is available from the employer or may be downloaded from this website:
Nothing tends more to promote health of body and soul than does a spirit of gratitude and praise(EG White)
- Employees who retire from the employ of the Organisation and who meet the qualifying requirements are entitled to enjoy the SAU SEDMED retirement benefit. Employees who intend to retire and who meets the qualifying requirements must advise SEDMED in advance of their intention to retire. SEDMED must be contacted to provide the qualifying members with a new Application Form for retirees.
This does not mean to say that there is a change in his or her SEDMED membership or benefits, but SEDMED requires the new form for record purposes and for processing the arrangements surrounding the payment of subsidies on contributions.
Pure air, sunlight, rest, abstemiousness, exercise, proper diet, the use of water, trust in
devine power - these are the true remedies(EG White)
- In the event of a new member or dependant not having been registered with another medical scheme immediately prior to joining SEDMED certain waiting periods will be applicable.
Such waiting periods may be a general waiting period of three months (during which no benefits will be granted) and/or a pre-existing condition specific waiting period of twelve (12) months (where a beneficiary suffers from a pre-existing condition(s) no benefit will be granted for this/these condition(s) during the first 12 months of membership).
SEDMED will provide each member with the details of any waiting period on their membership certificate, once the membership has been underwritten and loaded.
This form must be completed by both the applicant and the treasurer of the employing organization (Retirees are provided with a different form directly from SEDMED). All the requested details must be provided and the form must be signed by both the applicant and the treasurer as indicated.
Please provide all the information required.
DEPENDANT CHILD DETAILS
In the event that a child dependant is to be registered, attention must be paid to the notes accompanying that section of the application form. The child must actually be a child of the member, must have been legally adopted by the member, must be a stepchild or must be a legally placed foster child. (A foster child is usually placed into the care of the foster parents for a limited period of time and once this period expires the child is no longer regarded as the legal responsibility of the foster parents and must be deregistered as a dependant.) A dependant child is not yet 21 years old AND DOES NOT earn a regular income equivalent to or more than the maximum social pension per month, or the child must be a full time student not yet 26 years old, or the child must be physically or mentally disabled. Documentary proof must be provided in all cases. Please also refer to the Definition Section below for definition of “Dependant”.
MEDICAL HISTORY FORM
This form MUST be completed for each beneficiary. Failure to disclose pertinent information may lead to claims being rejected at a later stage.
CHRONIC MEDICINE/TREATMENT REGISTRATION FORM
A separate form must be completed for each beneficiary. The upper section of the form is to be completed and signed by the relevant beneficiary who requires chronic medication or treatment. The lower part is to be completed and signed by his/her regular physician. SEDMED will not consider the payment of any chronic benefits without being in possession of the required Registration Form. When necessary this form needs to be replaced with updated information.
PROOF OF PRIOR MEMBERSHIP OF ANOTHER MEDICAL SCHEME
It is of the utmost importance that an applicant include in his/her application documents, proof of prior membership and period of such membership, of any medical scheme, either as principal member or as a dependant (see Waiting Periods below). This requirement does not apply to Retirees as they would previously have been members of SEDMED.